Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

Managing Expectations

Hey!  How is your week going?  Mine feels like it's flying by!  Between two kids, outings, DIY and just trying to keep after the house, life is hectic.  

So time management has never been my forte.  But B.K. (That's Before Kids, in case you were wondering), things like all-nighters or an entire day of DIY were totally doable.  Now, not so much.  And what used to take a couple hours can now take days.  Which can be very frustrating for an instant gratification lover like me.  

On top of that, as I get older, I notice that not having things picked up or cleaned regularly bothers me even more.  And now that P is here, it's getting even tougher to keep up with things.  And it.is.frustrating.

Take for example our master bedroom paint job.  When we bought our first house, I painted three rooms in one night.  That's right, one night.  This time, notsomuch.  I think it took a whole week to get our room fully painted.  Which left our room in chaos for that entire week.  And drove me batty!  I mean, painting should not take that long!!  So, I got frustrated.  And I got snappy.  And I begged Dano to help (he despises painting).  And then I thought about all the other spaces I wanted to paint.  I may have shed a tear at this point.


So I had to stop and take a deep breath, and reevaluate my situation.  Manage my expectations a little bit.  Learn that I need to love the journey as much as I love the destination, cuz the journey is a little longer these days.  I'm making more lists to help me manage my day-to-day.  Trying to spread things out over a longer period of time, since having a chunk of hours to work on something rarely happens.  And I'm learning to be okay with the chaos :). It's better to take more time and really do something well.  Especially when we are going to be living with it for years!  

And with that, I'm back to work in the laundry room.  What is it now, two weeks?  Three?  That's alright, it will get done.  And it will be so worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment